a dress for madalena

One of the things I love about knitting is that it’s like a puzzle.  When you start out to make a garment, especially if you’re not using a pattern, you’ve got three things: a set of needles, a bunch of yarn, and an image of what you want to end up with.  Then it’s up to you to figure out how to get from A to B.

This dress for example:  from the finished product, you might think I had a plan, a pattern, a sketch?  But no.  I knew I wanted a dress, I knew I wanted it to be cotton, and I knew the approximate size of the recipient.  So I went out and bought the yarn, and just started.

Granted, I restarted the yoke of the dress three or four times to get the number and spacing of the petals right (the dress is knit from the top down).  Once I had that settled though I literally just kept going until I thought it was long enough.

A little crochet edging around the hem and sleeves finished it off, and I only tackled the question of how to close up the back once I’d finished everything else – even weaving in the ends.  I added crocheted slits to thread an I-cord through, and there you have it, a laced up bodice.

I’m going back through the dress now to formalize the pattern.  It will be for sale on Ravelry as soon as I can get it done (I find it such a slow process, especially with patterns like this one that don’t lend themselves well to charting).

I’m really pleased with the result of this particular puzzle.  I hope I can convince anyone who is feeling a bit timorous about starting a project without a plan that it’s really worth a shot.  You never know, like me you might get addicted to the process.

This entry was posted in knitting. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>